If you are handicapped and need a recumbent trike for rehabilitation purposes, you don’t have to pay sales tax on it.  However, we need a few things to do this:

  • You must be “legally” handicapped.  If you have the credentials to park a car in a handicapped space then that is a good indicator.
  • You need a prescription from a doctor or physician’s assistant.  We need to keep a copy of this script on file in case we are audited by the gummint.
  • You’ll need to fill out a form from the Texas Comptrollers office explaining where they can send their goons if they have any questions about this.

Ethically, we’ll only extend this tax break to items that directly address your rehabilitation needs.  The trike itself, any accessories that enable you to use it (changing brake and shift controls to one hand, stuff to hold your hands or feet on the trike, and so forth), and any parts and accessories that make it comfortable to use it (neck rest, seat modification, etc.) will be exempted.  Tire upgrades, lights, bags, and so forth, will not.  This is a gray area in the law and it isn’t like we have the Comptroller snooping around much, but we won’t take advantage of the system.

If you want to take a trike home today and are sure you can get the doctor’s prescription soon, go ahead and pay the sales tax on the understanding that you’ll be back with the script.  Return within 90 days and we’ll refund the tax to you.

In the continuing absence of sales tax fairness we are not required to collect sales tax from you when shipping out of state.  But we do need proof of shipping in case the man comes around asking questions.  Please don’t ask us to lie on your behalf to get you out of the sales tax by claiming we shipped it out of state.  We love you, dear customer, but not that much.

This site is protected by wp-copyrightpro.com